Roast beef with horseradish Yorkshire puddings
- 1.5 kg piece roasting beef (eg, rib eye/scotch fillet, sirloin, rump or topside)
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- Horseradish Yorkshire Puddings:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1¼ cups milk
- 3 tbsp creamed horseradish
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Trim beef of any visible fat. Smear the mustard over the beef. Place the beef on a rack in a roasting dish.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to moderate 180°C and cook for a further 45 minutes for rare, 60 minutes for medium or 70 minutes for well done. For ease and accuracy, use a meat thermometer.
- Remove beef from oven, loosely cover with foil and rest for 20 minutes to let the meat fibres relax and reabsorb their juices before serving.
- While beef is resting cook the yorkshire puddings.
- Make the Yorkshire pudding batter while the beef is cooking.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and beat in the milk, horseradish and eggs until smooth.
- To cook puddings, spoon the oil into 12 non-stick ½-cup muffin holes.
- Place the muffin pan in the oven to heat for five minutes.
- Take muffin pans out of the oven and pour in the batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until puffed up and cooked.
Horseradish Yorkshire puddings:
- Carve beef into thin slices and serve with the horseradish yorkshire puddings, gravy, roast potatoes and steamed vegetables.
We have never had finer ingredients – your products are simply the best.
~ Leo Schofield, Writer and Food Critic
Dec 2010 (see full text »)
On December 4th, I organised a Christmas musical soirée for thirty guests at Dysart House. John Wilson, whose catering business John & Peter is generally regarded as the finest in Australia, flew down to create the buffet.
Both he and I agree that we have never had finer ingredients, including eight fresh chickens and the best-ever ham from West Hobart Gourmet Meats. Your products are simply the best.
~ Leo Schofield
Customer Loyalty Discount
Receive a discount on all your purchases by registering on our mailing list. You will also receive details of fortnightly specials.
Proud to be West Hobart’s
longest serving butcher